Friday 15 March 2013

Tissue Paper Cards

Hola Kiddiewinks, 

Satch here. I thought I'd actually written this blog post but it turns out I only planned what I was gonna say in my head while I was in the bath...whoops. 

About a month ago, I was sitting in my room when I suddenly realised that the next day was a) the last time I'd see Sophie Davis for a year and b) my and Cobb's 4 year anniversary. That, my friends, is a desparate card-making situation! Luckily, I have crap-loads of card making supplies in case of just such a crisis, and tissue paper is my go-to, no-time-at-all medium of choice. 


Let's start with my card for Cobb. You will need: 

Card
Two different colours of tissue paper (preferably left over from something else so the planet will like you more and bake you cookies)
PVA glue (or just pritt-stick if you're not weird like me) 

Start by slathering (great word!) your card with glue, and rip up your tissue paper into strips. 



Then layer the strips over each other. It doesn't have to be super neat, as the ripped-up thing is part of the look. (And if you're wondering, yes, that is wrapping paper left over from Christmas, but Cobb likes Christmas, and snow, so deal with it!)  


When I finished the vertical stripes, I was going to just write 'Happy Anniversary' but there just wasn't a good focal point on the card. I looked down at my left-over paper, and noticed that one of the grey chucks was vaguely in the shape of a '4'. Luckily, we've been together 4 years, so this was perfect. I whacked the grey bit in the corner, and rolled up a few strips of red to make a 3D 4, which gave the card a bit more depth.

For Sophie Davis' "Don't leave me or the Cupcake gets it" card - which you just cannot find in shops these days - you will need: 

Card
Pretty tissue paper
A picture of something cool (preferably from old wrapping paper) 
Glue
Permanent Marker

 Start the same way you would for the other card, but as for this one I only used one colour of paper, it doesn't really matter what size/shape the tissue paper strips are. 



Then, crack on with the pasting until the whole thing is covered. You might need to add more glue to places where the tissue overlaps. I decided half-way through that I didn't like the polkadots being so shiny, so I went for an extra layer of glue at the end to calm it down a bit. Then stick on your picture of a cupcake, and outline it with permanent marker to make it stand out from the paper.


 They turned out pretty well, and 'Sorry you're leaving to go live in a commune' and 'yeah, we're in love but we don't bang on about it' are quite difficult occasions to get a card for, so these were perfect. 

There's a whole bunch of designs you could try. I once made our friend Reb one using strips of various shades of pink, and then cut out the letters of her name from wrapping paper to give it a bit of texture. I also did this one for my friend Gillet, and stuck a picture of the inside of the tardis in the card. 

If you're thinking 'Yeah, Satch, that's great but what about all that left over tissue paper?' I found a use for that too. I wrapped Cobb's pressie up but decided it was a bit bland, so used some of the left over strips and glued on some 'ribbon' and a make-shift bow.


And with Sophie Davis' card I re-used an envelope, so tissue-papered over where my name was so I could replace it with hers. However, if you are going to do this, don't be a plum (like me) and write on it before the glue dries!

 

Tissue paper - who knew, right? 


Until next time,
Satch x










No comments:

Post a Comment