Monday 11 March 2013

DIY Citrus Body Scrub

Hello one and all, Salt here.

As any of you who have read my other blog will know, I'm a sucker for beauty products. One thing I'm not a sucker for though, is the huge price tag that goes with them.

I saw this little recipe on another blog, and decided to tweak it and give it a go myself. I made this for Mummy Salt for Mothers Day, but obviously had to do a little quality control batch for myself too.

Ladies (and Gents) I give you, Lemon and Grapefruit Body Scrub.

Surprisingly simple to make, and honestly, I think it works as well as any branded ones I've paid for recently.

What you'll need:
A jar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (This can be swapped for an essential oil if you'd rather, but they cost more!)
1 grapefruit
1 lemon
Coarse Sea Salt




 The original recipe calls for:
5 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp oil
1/2 lemon

But this makes a really tiny amount, so I filled the jar with salt, and counted it in tablespoons as I put it in the mixing bowl.

 My jar held 15tbsp of salt, so I adjusted the quantities as follows:

15tbsp salt
3 tbsp oil
1/2 lemon
1/2 grapefruit










First, mix the oil in with the salt. Make sure its all fully coated (add extra if you need). The oil protects the salt from the lemon, so if you skip out this stage, your salt will dissolve and all you'll have is mush, albeit a lovely smelly mush.

I then zested the grapefruit and the lemon to make a more rustic scrub, and to give it a bit of colour.
Then I added the juice of half a lemon, and half a grapefruit and mixed that in with the salt and oil.
I had too much juice, and ended up not using quite a bit of it, so best to do this bit in stages.


Pop it in a jar, tie a bit of ribbon around it, and voila! A lovely homemade gift.
The whole jar must have cost me less then £3 to make too, and it smells so lovely and citrus-y. The shelf life is a little less than your shop bought scrub - about six weeks, but no need to refrigerate.

If you give it a try, let me know how it works! I'd love to try some different flavours!

3 comments:

  1. OK so I tried this yesterday morning and it is absolutely lovely and I'm not just saying that because Holly (my daughter) made it for me.

    It smells beautiful and moisturises really well. It has certainly made me think twice about paying out for expensive shop bought body scrubs in the future, especially now I have a nice jar to put more into.

    The only thing I would say is to watch out if you have any shaving cuts although all that salt will heal them up fast!

    Hoping Holly might like to try out some other flavours on me in the not too distant future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Mummy Salt! I will absolutely make some more flavours for us both when I'm home in a few weeks. But this time, I'll remember to put a disclaimer on the jar, so everyone else can learn from your shaving cut mistake! xxx

      Delete
  2. Tip for next time: watermelon. That does all kinds of crap for your skin.

    ReplyDelete